Thursday 2 September 2010

Will's Birthday/Bank Holiday Weekend

It’s update time! Let's start with two weekends ago... that was a weekend full of festivities! One of my friends from college came out to visit. It was really awesome to see her again. After graduation, we lost touch and it was fantastic to be reunited again. When I move back to the states, I’m going to make a conscious effort to visit/see her. I’m starting to realize as I’m getting older, I miss a lot of my friends that have drifted away. I look back and am saddened that I didn’t make more of effort to keep in touch, but I’m happy that I have reunited with one recently. After she left, I was running around to make sure everything was perfect for Will’s birthday on Friday. Since I was throwing Will a birthday party on a Friday, we decided to have a romantic birthday dinner with just the two of us the night before. I decorated the apartment all over with happy birthday banners and balloons before he got home from work. Then I took him to a very nice steak house called Gaucho. It’s his favorite steak restaurant in London. It was absolutely delicious and it reminded me of my favorite argentenian steak restaurant in New York. After dinner, he got to open the various birthday presents that I have gotten him. It was a very nice and romantic evening.... and the food was DELICIOUS!
On Friday, Aug 27th, was his actual birthday and he had a party. It was really nice to gather all of his friends that he has made since moving to London. There were quite a few of us out on Friday. Since we both had a lot going on lately, it was nice to relax and enjoy an evening with our friends. The next morning, we decided to do a spontaneous day/night trip to Nottingham. One of my friends from school is living in London and her fiancée lives in Nottingham. She is planning to move there as well at the end of September, so we decided to go to Nottingham to get away from London to visit them. We made a nice dinner and she cooked her broccoli dish w/ bread crumbs and roasted carrots. We made our own tomato sauce for spinach and ricotta tortellni. For starters, we made brushetta on toasted bread. It was absolutely delicious. I loved her broccoli dish and I’m going to ask her for the recipe and post it for the blog.
The next morning we all woke up to go into the city. We walked around the lace market and the old market square. Then visited Nottingham Castle which was more of a museum rather then a monument but it was still cool to visit . We winded down the day with a nice cold pint at the oldest pub in London. It was basically in a cave and it is absolutely amazing that this pub is still open since 1189.
Monday, 30th of August was a bank holiday. I’m not sure what this bank holiday was about but it was good to have the day off and spend it with my husband. We realized with friends in town and his birthday weekend, we’ve been eating too much meat and drinking too much booze. So we decided to detox and become vegetarians for 5 days mon-Friday. Sounds easy, but since we are huge meat lovers it seems really hard. So the first vegetarian dinner, I made was eggplant parmanesan.

Recipe of the day: Eggplant Parmansean

Grocery List: £8.04
2 medium eggplants – £2.38
1 small container of ricotta cheese – £1.19
1 block of mozerella cheese- £1.59
½ cup of parmeasan cheese – had it already
1 cup of bread crumbs – had it already
1-2 jars of tomatoe sauce – £2.00
Fresh chopped basil. – £0.89
Fresh ground pepper
Fresh sea salt or salt

First wash and cut the eggplant into ¼ inch disc. Preheat the oven to 420 F . Spray or brush olive oil on each side of the eggplant and dash pepper and salt. Cook for 12-15 minutes. Turn the eggplant when cooked half way. Now in a baking dish, add a thin layer of tomato sauce at the bottom. Start adding a layer of eggplant. Then add a thin layer of sauce, sprinkle the chopped basil, then add ricotta, parmensean and shreddede mozerrella. Then repeat again starting with the layer of eggplant. When you are on your last layer of eggplant (the third or fourth layer) , add just a layer of sauce, now the breadcrumbs covering the whole dish and sprinkle parmensan cheese all over. (get a nice golden breadcrumb, spray olive oil all over the bread crumb). Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and place dish to cook for 20 minutes. Add slice/shredded mozzerealla all over the top 10 minutes before it’s done. Dinner is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment